LEGO Bricks & More Builders of Tomorrow Set 6177 .(lego)

What a fantastic set!, January 27, 2011
By jeninmaine (Maine, USA) :
I was skeptical at first since this is just a set of bricks - no special doo-dads or mini-figures, just a bunch of bricks in a box. My seven-year old son has a few specialty sets of Star Wars and Indiana Jones Legos that he keeps in his room away from his little sister so I purchased this set for the living room where the communal toys are kept. I bought one of the Iris project bins to go with it (which comes with a base plate, thank goodness).

My only criticism is that this set has no base plate. Boo. Other than that, though, it is a great value for a great set of bricks. It's back to basics - 1x1s, 1x2s, 2x2s, 2x3s, and 2x4s in a variety of really nice colors. I especially liked the lime green and the bright orange. I was worried that my son in particular would find the lack of specialty bits made the set boring, but on the contrary the two of them will sit together and play very happily. There are enough bricks that they don't have to fight over who has what. I especially like that there are lots of 1x1 bricks - as a child I never felt that I had enough of these and they're so versatile (and cute!). I realize that the recommended age for this toy is 5 years and I let my daughter who is almost three play with it, but the nice thing about it is I get down on the floor with her so supervision is playtime for both of us. I think it's great that even in this digital age something as classic and timeless as Legos can still draw kids' attention.

They still hurt just as much to step on, though, so I'd like to re-recommend that Iris storage bin. You'll thank me for it.

Great supplemental set for adding to a basic brick set, August 8, 2012
By D. Diamond (Houston, TX USA) :
My son is 4 and recently graduated from Duplo blocks to "big boy" Legos, and we bought this set to supplement a basic brick starter bucket set. Right now, we really like the open ended play that he gets from building with basic brick pieces. He makes all kinds of buildings, objects, animals, etc. I'm in my 40s, and was an avid Lego builder when I was a kid, and we didn't have much more than basic brick sets to pick from for a very long time. The new specialty play sets are cool, but for right now, we like the creative exploration that basic bricks offer.

This set provides a nice variety of colors and sizes to build lots of different things of varying sizes. Also, all the bricks could be contained in the basic brick starter bucket that we already had, so that makes storage easy.

You can't go wrong with a basic brick supplemental set like this. It is nice to have the volume of pieces available to build anything you can imagine and you will always be able to get use out of them. We also bought the Bricks and More Fun With Vehicles Set 4635. With the added specialty vehicle pieces that set contained, my son has enjoyed hours of play...and so have we!

A good addition to an existing collection, December 21, 2010
By I. P. White:
I bought this as a "starter" set for my kids, but it works better as an addition to your existing collection of Legos. Lots of 1x1 and 1x2 pieces, and not enough of the bigger 2x8 pieces that are my favorites. However, Legos are awesome toys no matter what sizes, so the kids still have enough fun with this set until additional pieces arrive. Legos are worth the money, since they will last forever, and can be used by your kids, then grandkids, and then probably even your grandkid's kids.

-lego-